Used as a traditional Mexican agua fresca (fresh water) to drink with our favorite foods this tropical fruit is packed with polyphenols and is known to protect against heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Here is how to make this tasty drink:
- Peel tamarind pods.
- Add 3 cups of water to a medium pot to a boil.
- Add peeled tamarinds and reduce heat.
- After cooking turn off eat and allow the water to cool.
- Remove the sticky paste from beans.
- Add paste to blender.
- Add soaking water and brown sugar and blend for 1min.
- Strain blended liquid into a 1/2 gallon pitcher and add 3 cups of water, give a good stir.
- Add ice to a cup and enjoy.